The legal requirements for Registration of Marriages of Foreign Nationals in Sri Lanka.

You are required to produce the following documents to the Divisional/District Registrar of the area.

Each person must provide duplicate copies of the following. These copies should usually be forwarded to us at least four weeks prior to the date of marriage:

  • You must have resided in Sri Lanka for at least five (05) days immediately prior to the date of giving notice before the registration can take place.
  • Valid Passports of the couple (copies are only required of the information pages. Pages containing Immigration and visa stamps are not required)
  • Original Birth certificates of the couple.
  • A letter stating the guest’s full name, postal address and occupation.
  • A letter stating the full names, addresses and occupations of the guest’s parents.
  • The following documents should be certified by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (for British nationals) and legalised by the Sri Lanka High Commission, London
  • An affidavit confirming the guest’s status (Married / Single / Divorced / Widowed) * Divorcees- Decree absolute certificate and Free to Marry Certificate/s (If applicable) * If widowed, the Death Certificate of your late spouse, your previous marriage certificate and Free to Marry Certificate * If you have changed your name, a Deed Poll (including divorcees who have reverted to their maiden names) - If applicable
  • Unmarried certificate / Free to Marry Certificate: - An affidavit/statutory declaration signed by a solicitor to confirm who you are and your present status (un-married/ free to marry). Separate affidavits for the period of time lived in different countries which are certified/ legalised by respective Foreign Office & Sri Lankan Mission accredited to that country
  • For other nationals living in the UK, the documents should be certified by their respective Diplomatic Mission in the UK and legalised by the Sri Lanka High Commission in London.
  • Business Visa for marriage purposes (this can be obtained from the Sri Lanka High Commission, London for a period up to 90 days)
  • All documents must be in English in the case of foreign nationals.

PLEASE NOTE: Once you have married in Sri Lanka, you must get your marriage certificate certified by the Consular Affairs Section of the Ministry of External Affairs in Colombo; if the certificate is issued in local language of Sinhalese or Tamil then you may obtain an official English translation and certified that as well by the Ministry of External Affairs, only then will your marriage certificate be valid to submit to authorities outside of Sri Lanka.